Thursday, April 30, 2009

"Sophronizo" (mentoring ministry)

~a Greek word found in the New Testament of the Bible in the book of Titus meaning "to admonish, to recall to ones senses." Titus 2:3-5 is a mandate for mentoring, specifically that "older" women are to teach & train "young" women.

2009 is the year God ushered my precious Mom home with Him in Heaven. Her "mantle" has been passed onto her children, grandchildren and great-grandhcildren. As one of her daughters, He has burdened my heart to carry on what she did, both intentionally & simply as a lifestyle:

~be a teacher of good...literally, a teacher of what is beautiful~

I am still praying through the details of what this ministry will "look" like...

Somehow God has used me over the last 20+ years to encourage and (sort of) mentor various women He has brought into my life...at times, I was floundering spiritually myself because I was still a young wife & Mom. By His grace, perhaps they gained something spiritually beneficial. Today, I am currently mentoring a young woman one on one that God brought into my life, and we have been meeting together weekly since last fall. It is the highlight of my week. I LOVE coming alongside women in this capacity!

Now, as I near age 50, He has given me a desire to invest in more women's lives and to share what my godly Mom taught me with other women. I don't know if there will be an age criteria...but I think probably so since Titus says the older are to teach the younger, but I want to study this more & pray about it further. As a "new beginning", I am in the process of writing the material I believe the Lord would have me to share with the women He brings.

Additionally to having one-on-one time with women, I want to have a group time (not sure on frequency but maybe once a month?) when we would meet together...this will be called "Stella Group"...in honor & memory of Mom...simply a time to encourage one another as women who are seeking to walk faithfully with Jesus and hear about success as well as failures! I believe in AUTHENTICITY!

There are still alot of gaps to be filled, but if He's in it, He will fill them!Pray & seek His guidance.And if your heart connects with wanting to know more, please contact me.

No comments: