Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Tribute to a man who could bring order out of chaos

We've only known him and his wife for about 7 years, but it seems like so much longer...i think in part because they were part of the "flock" we led at our former church home, and this group became like family to us. Something about being bound together in Christ that sticks like glue. Seven years....such a short time relative to a lifetime and certainly so relative to eternity.

Because he was a retired military guy, he used all kinds of crazy army-lingo. This simply made us love him more. He was the most disciplined person I think I've ever met....he was everything my husband isn't, and yet that fact didn't threaten my Neal nor make me think less of my husband. He was just soooooo "Jim". He was the kind of man who you knew you would want to go into a battle with you...my Neal called him one of his "mighty men" and one of his "Aarons".

Neal taught our former SS class for over 15 years, and it was bittersweet to minister like we used to as a husband and wife team...we visited with his wife this past Monday in ICU. Jim lay in the hospital bed with all kinds of things hooked up to him, Neal prayed over him one last time & confessed to the Lord, "I couldn't have done what I did without him doing what he did." And oh, how well he did what he did! He helped bring order to the chaos of two very unqualified SS leaders who stumbled and bumbled our way through ministering. We were better leaders because of him, and I believe we were a better class because of him too.

Ruthann, his wife, shared a note with me that he had placed in her new day planner than he got for her at the first of this year. It says, "To my love, I have given you my time as God alloted, and you have given me the time of my life! Love, Jim". Wow. It seems as if he knew, and yet how could he????

Colonel James Sikes, "one who brought order from chaos", you will be greatly missed!

No comments: