Thursday, April 9, 2009

My Stella Tree & Stella Chanticleer




Our former SS class sweetly gave me a very generous gift certificate to a greenhouse/nursery to purchase something in memory of Mom/Memama. Neal and I went to the nursery in early February, but I simply wasn’t ready to make a decision. I wanted it to be just the “right” thing. We returned a few weeks ago and found the perfect “Stella tree”…a curly willow… so unique just like Mom. It’s planted in the backyard where our “someday patio” will be. I know I’m going to enjoy seeing it grow for many years to come. And I imagine sharing much about her legacy w/ my grandbabies someday.

We also purchased a “quirky” chanticleer (aka: a rooster!) at the nursery w/ some leftover gift certificate money. Some of you may remember how Mom often referred to herself as a “tough old bird” because nothing ever seemed to get her down! Nothing ever did, not even cancer! It may have taken her physical life, but the joke is on the defeated one because “though she’s dead, she STILL speaks!” (Hebrews)! This “bird” just seemed to scream or more aptly “crow” MOM, so it has also found its place in our front yard.

Since Neal took the photo, I’ve added a sign I found on a recent treasure hunt (incidentally, the same one I bought for her a few months before she died to put outside her den window) that has the phrase that characterized her life...how appropriate that the rooster’s head is thrown back boldly crowing, “Praise the Lord!”

No comments: