Thursday, April 23, 2009

Encouragement for the weary from Psalm 138:7

Every where I turn in recent days, friends & family are in great distress for a variety of reasons. The thought came to me just now as I shared the following with them that I must put these words on my blog to encourage any out there who are also struggling. May the Lord's Spirit strengthen all the weary for His glory!

" 'Though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou WILL revive me.' Ps. 138:7
~The Hebrew rendering of the above is “go on in the CENTER of trouble.” What descriptive words! We have called on God in the day of trouble; we have pleaded His promise of deliverance but no deliverance has been given; the enemy has continued oppressing until we were in the very thick of the fight, in the center of trouble. Why then trouble the Master any further? When Martha said, “Lord, if thou hadst been here my brother had not died.” Our Lord met her lack of hope with His further promise of, “Thy brother shall rise again.” And when we walk “in the center of trouble” and are tempted to think like Martha that the time of deliverance is past, He meets us too with a promise from His Word. “Though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou will revive me.” Though His answer has so long delayed, though we may still continue to “go on” in the midst of trouble, “the center of trouble” is the place where He revives, not the place where He fails us. When in the hopeless place, the continued hopeless place, is the very time when He will stretch forth His hand against the wrath of our enemies and perfect that which concerneth us, the very time when He will make the attack to cease and fail and come to an end. What occasion is there then for fainting? "

From Streams in the Desert by Mrs. Charles E. Cowman, April 23 selection

Have you learned to "meditate" Biblically? I pray so! More on that subject later........

(BTW-Streams in the Desert is my ALL TIME favorite devotional and one my godly Mom read all of her adult life; I never grow tired of it, and God has used it over and over to sharpen me! If you don't have a copy, I encourage you to get one and try to get the older edition because the more current ones have been edited for supposed clarity but I think much is lost in the editing process. Go on ebay and/or check out used bookstores. Everywhere I travel when I find a used bookstore, I look for copies so I can have them to give away!)

No comments: