Thursday, June 25, 2009

Simple Observations from Mark 6:45-52

Jesus...
* made his disciples get into the boat (without Him)
He knew the storm was coming and yet He made them get into the very vehicle that would take them to the challenging place

* went up on the mountain to pray
This reminds me that Jesus is my "great high priest", the One who is continually interceding for me as I go through the storms in my life. He doesn't send me into the hard place and abandon me. Praise the Lord!

* saw that they (the disciples) were "making headway painfully"
He is El Roi, the God WHO SEES! Another reminder that He didn't abandon the disciples...He was fully aware of their painful situation. However, He knows far better than I do what I need to learn in order to become more like Him...which includes suffering & trials & "making headway painfully". Another verse comes to mind, "He learned obedience from the things He suffered." If He did, how much more so for me?

* came to them
Praise the Lord, He still comes to us at the appropriate time. For the disciples, it was His actual physical Presence. For us, He's given us the continual indwelling of His Holy Spirit. I am thankful that He allows me to "sense" His presence at times so that I am encouraged during the hard times. However, it's interesting that this account reveals that the way He chose to come to them (by walking on the water) terrified the disciples which reminds me of times when He has "come" and scared me half to death...why? because the way He chose to reveal Himself to me was unexpected and so much BIGGER than the tiny box I had put Him into. OUCH!

* spoke to them
Hearing the voice of the Lord in the midst of the storm is such a gift.

* said- 1- take heart 2- it is I 3- do not be afraid
I love what He said to the disciples. So simple yet so profound. It needs to be simple so I can comprehend and embrace what He's saying to me when life has gotten out of control from my perspective. I can't handle complicated things and neither could the "DUH-ciples". Sherri, take heart. Sherri, It is I. Sherri, don't be afraid.

* got into the boat with them
I love it! He got involved. Jesus climbs into the boat WITH them. What a truth! The very thing He used to take them to the hard place is the very place He climbs into WITH them. He is the God who gets into the painful situations WITH us. Glory!

Their reaction as recorded in the scripture in verse 51, "utterly astounded". And sadly, I think the being astounded is not because they then understood Who He was and what He could do, but just the opposite. Because verse 52 says, "for they did not understand about the loaves, but their hearts were hardened."

Just before Jesus sent the disciples out to sea in the boat is when they get to SEE Jesus perform the miracle of feeding the 5000....before their very eyes! And yet, a short time later, what they SAW made no impact on the reality of their current situation. Scripture is clear why- they had hardened hearts.

I have seen and experienced God's divine faithfulness, provision & intervention countless times in my life. And yet all too often, I too react with doubt & fear. This should NOT be. I have walked with Him for many years now, and He has proved Himself over & over. Lord, do Your heart-softening work in my heart so that I might trust You MORE and especially when I find myself "making headway painfully".

No comments: