Tuesday, January 13, 2009

An Unexpected Moment with Daddy

My Neal suggested a few weeks ago that I select a special song on my cell phone for my Daddy so I would easily know when he was calling. After thinking on it and searching for awhile, I chose "In the Mood"....such a great "big band" song and so representative of him and the WWII generation that he's a part of.

Tonight I asked Daddy if I had shared "his cell phone ring" with him and he said no. So I played it for him. When I realized he couldn't hear it from across the room, I walked over to him to get closer. As I did, his eyes lit up as he recognized the familiar tune. And the next thing I knew, he and I were up and dancing a jig together in the family room! What a moment! What a gift in the midst of such astounding & current grief!

I just had to gloat to Sandra (my older sister who's also here in Atlanta with me) and yelled, "Sandra! Daddy and I are dancing and you're not!".....she and I have been having fun pretending we have sibling rivalry....something we never really experienced since she's 13 years older and was always like a "mama" to me....but later in life once I was married, we simply became the best of friends. She came running and had a look of pretend jealousy on her face. Then Daddy said, "I bet Stella is turning over in her grave!" referring to the fact that he was never much of a dancer.

I wouldn't take a million dollars for that surprise moment with him because after walking this past year with Mom, I now KNOW first-hand how important it is to make the most of the time we have with those we love!

3 comments:

angela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
angela said...

i love this! what a special moment:)

ang

ps. this is my mew blog that i never write on. i should start:)

Lubna said...

Im so happy right now...