Sunday, January 11, 2009

More Stella Moments

I tried to post a blog last night but my internet connection went down in the middle of writing...so here goes another try.

Mom's funeral yesterday was NO funeral...it was a celebration of her life and a worship service to Jesus. Much glory was given to our King, and it was just as I believe Mom would have desired. It IS possible to grieve with JOY! And doing so doesn't take a thing a way from how much we love Mom and miss her. I continue to have "Memoments" (a word my son Trent has coined for Memama or Memom to some of her older grandkids....precious!), moments when I reflect on the many wonderful memories that have been shared with me over the last few days....here is one of them:

My daughter, Haley, wrote her Memama a song in her memory the day after Mom left for heaven. She sang and played it at the service yesterday. It was such a tribute to what Mom was known for- PRAISING THE LORD in all circumstances . Thus, Haley entitled the song, "Praise the Lord" (I'll share the lyrics from her song in a separate blog). I was sharing about Haley writing the song with Boo (a good friend of Mom's) on Friday and she shared this story that just "fits" so well.

Many years ago, Boo gave Mom a white pillow that has stayed on the sofa in their den. "Praise the Lord" is written across the front of it. On the few Sundays this past year that Mom was able to muster enough strength to go to church, she would attend service only and take the pillow along to put behind her back. One particular Sunday Mom came to church without Boo knowing it in advance. But because Boo sings in the choir, she was able to spot her fairly quickly. When their eyes caught one another, she said Mom slowly lifted her arms above her head and in her hands was that wonderful pillow with PRAISE THE LORD being lifted high for all to see! I couldn't help but think of this story the next day as I read Streams in the Desert (one of Mom's all time favorite devotionals that I also read regularly). The reading for the day spoke of Jehovah-Nissi, the Lord is our BANNER. What a testimony to this great name of God as Mom lifted high her banner: Praise the Lord!

What else can I say but Praise the Lord?!

No comments: