Tuesday, November 18, 2008

To be a turtle or not....

What a journey filled with changes I've been on this past year! If God had revealed to me what was ahead, I certainly would have pulled my head inside my shell, given my turtle-like ways! Am I THANKFUL that He's the One who's omniscient and not me!

I've been implementing a new approach to studying the Scriptures in my "Him time", idea courtesy of my husband via John MacArthur....his Bible teacher/hero. MacArthur challenges his listeners & students of the Word to consider reading a partiular book of the Bible all the way through every day for 30 days (this works for the smaller epistles easily; for longer books, they would need to be divided up into sections).

So, because I've seen my Neal grow to have such a great command of Scripture, I decided I needed to reconsider another of my turtle-like ways (taking a very slow approach and making lists, digging out the Greek or Hebrew meanings of words, cross-referencing, etc.), and give it a try. I have to admit that the first 2 weeks were the hardest. But there seems to be a "hump" to get over, and once past that, I really began to see the value of this "method" of study.

I've actually been in the book of Galatians since about the 20 something of October, but because I hadn't completed a full month, I decided to continue through November. And, I'm amazed at how the Word is getting IN me. Equally astounding is how the Lord is using it right where I am in my walk with Him and showing me how to apply the specific truths He's teaching me.

I don't necessarily believe this method is the way I will study for the rest of my life. But for now, the Spirit is prompting, so I'm yielding and God is rewarding me with a fresh richness in His Word.

This CHANGE should NOT come as a suprise to me since 2008 has been totally about uprooting just about everything in my life from changes with our immediate & extended family life, our church life, and my work life. Because all of those are wrapped up in my spiritual life and vice versa, it's no wonder that He would challenge me with a new way of coming to Him each day to hear from Him as I open His love letter to me.

If your Word life (aka: Quiet Time, study time, Bible time, whatever you call it!) is stale, then perhaps it's time to consider................whatever it is HE shows you! And how might He do that????

Look around you...who do you know that seems to have a good command of the Scriptures? who walks the walk as well as talking the talk? who has consistent joy? who, as some put it, "get it"? who do you see loving others espeically those unlike them? who do you see that's not on a constant roller coaster ride spiritually & despite circumstances, displays a stability & peace that you long for? Answer those questions and you might be surprised what you find out when you ask, "when you open up the Word, are you are turtle or not?"

No comments: