Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Origin of "Xmas".....be informed before reacting

As believers, before we jump to conclusions about the use of "Xmas" instead of "Christmas", we all need to be informed! I know I am certainly guilty of sometimes reading something that was forwarded, passed on, and putting "stock" in it when I've not taken the time to check it out. Or in some cases it might be something I just always assumed was true or wrong or whatever it is I've thought for as long as I can remember.

"Xmas" is a perfect example of how we need to be a thinking people who check things out for ourselves.

I encourage going to the attached link and reading the article:

http://www.cresourcei.org/symbols/xmasorigin.html

2 comments:

Jack said...

I agree with you completely. You see a lot of people get upset this time of year for no reason. In fact, the notion that Dec. 25th is even a Christian holiday to begin with is unfounded. Early Christians decided to celebrate the birth of Jesus near the annual winter solstice to coincide with the very popular celebration of Mithras, a Roman god. So, if you get down to the nuts and bolts of it, we have no real claim to the holiday in the first place. Worrying about "Christ" being taken out of "Christmas" is channeling a lot of energy into a useless battle. If anything, you would think that there would be more of an uproar that, assuming Christians are in fact supposed to be honoring Christ's birth anually, no one does it in September, the month he was actually born. Just a thought. That was an interesting read.

LisaBulloss said...

It is the death of our precious Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ that we are to proclaim, until he comes for us. Paul wrote, “For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord’s death till he come.” (I Cor. 11:26) When someone cuts in line in front of me when I am at a hurry at the mall, I need to remember that it is for my sin that Jesus suffered and died. A wonderful thing is going to happen. See John 14:3. Jesus has gone to prepare a place for us, and left us with this promise, “I will come again, and receive you unto myself, that where I am, there ye may be also.” Paul sums it up well. Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures. He was buried. He rose again. And he was seen. (I Cor. 15:3-6) As much of the world anticipates the celebration of the birth our precious Saviour, let us proclaim the whole gospel. Let us anticipate with John that Jesus is coming to receive us. Let us say, with John, “Even so, come, Lord Jesus.” (Rev. 22:20)