Monday, November 3, 2008

A Proverbs 17:22a moment

Neal & I often wonder what it will be like when we are living with Jesus in eternity as far as our sense of humor & laughing goes. My husband absolutely LOVES to laugh and he has been sooo good for me since I tend to lean toward the serious side of things.......seriously! Among many other things, the Lord knew I needed to have a counterpart that would lighten me up!

I just love seeing Neal laugh. I love it even more when he laughs so hard that he loses his breath! He'll start walking around with his hands on his hips to straighten himself up to get more oxygen into his lungs. I'll never forget one night at Pizza Hut in particular when Trent went into one of his movie quote routines from The Nutty Professor. Neal was sitting on the inside of the booth, and he almost shoved me on the floor trying to get out so he could get up and walk so that he could breathe! It was hilarious! We all got so tickled at him laughing that we ended up crying from the intense laughter. Thankfully, the restaurant wasn't too crowded, but those who were there must have thought we were crazy! Neal's best friend, Jeff, told him a joke not too long ago that had the same affect on him, and he had to walk downstairs to get away from Jeff to try to regain his composure.

What is it about laughter that is soooooo good for us? I'm not exactly sure from a technical medical standpoint, but I do know that God says that "a joyful heart is good medicine" or literally "causes good healing". Hmmmm.

With that said, I just have to share a joke.....and credit where credit is due....thanks Tori for forwarding this one!


Three Ladies in a Sauna

THREE WOMEN, TWO YOUNGER, AND ONE SENIOR CITIZEN, WERE SITTING NAKED IN A SAUNA. SUDDENLY THERE WAS A BEEPING SOUND. THE YOUNG WOMAN PRESSED HER FOREARM AND THE BEEP STOPPED... THE OTHERS LOOKED AT HER QUESTIONINGLY. 'THAT WAS MY PAGER,' SHE SAID. I HAVE A MICROCHIP UNDER THE SKIN OF MY ARM.

A FEW MINUTES LATER, A PHONE RANG. THE SECOND YOUNG WOMAN LIFTED HER PALM TO HER EAR. WHEN SHE FINISHED, SHE EXPLAINED, 'THAT WAS MY MOBILE PHONE. I HAVE A MICROCHIP IN MY HAND.'

THE OLDER WOMAN FELT VERY LOW -TECH. NOT TO BE OUT DONE, SHE DECIDED SHE HAD TO DO SOMETHING JUST AS IMPRESSIVE. SHE STEPPED OUT OF THE SAUNA AND WENT TO THE BATHROOM. SHE RETURNED WITH A PIECE OF TOILET PAPER HANGING FROM HER REAR END.

THE OTHERS RAISED THEIR EYEBROWS AND STARED AT HER. THE OLDER WOMAN FINALLY SAID.........WELL, WILL YOU LOOK AT THAT....I'M GETTING A FAX!!


I don't know about the rest of you, but I definitely got a cup FULL of medicine today!

1 comment:

aYadagirl said...

Oh that was great!
On that same line of thought, I'll never forget the day I found laughter again, having not even realized I had lost it until I found it again.
After years of being in a failing marriage a heavy cloud of bondage and oppression loomed over my home. Then one day a baby was born. Her name was Laurel Genice, my precious granddaughter and namesake. I can’t say it was a sudden, miraculous change in mood since we were all going through what seemed to be hell on earth but slowly life started to happen again but there was one significant moment when I realized I had lost the joy, the laughter in my life. Since I had a grandbaby I now went to birthday parties again! All of sudden I was around small children of which I was on the floor rolling and playing with them and just laughing like I had not laughed in years. It was the most healing moment I can remember in a life time. I had not felt any reason to smile or laugh in so long it felt like something foreign. It felt like a light came back on inside me that day.
Babies, a gift from God, and they bring the most healing gift of all. Laughter.
Thanks Sherri and Tori. I’ll take a dose of that any day!
~G~
aYadagirl