Wednesday, October 22, 2008

PurposeFULL Days

Ever have a span of time when you just feel more purposeful? The last week or so has been like that for me, and I've been wondering about why that is. So, I've recounted what I've done lately that's DIFFERENT than other weeks....

Last Thursday night, I spent time with a young single woman who needs encouragement in her relationship with Jesus. She's just spent the last 2 1/2 years overseas for the sole purpose of sharing the gospel, and now that she's "home" or really more accurately, state-side, she's struggling to transition back to American life. She's like another daughter to me, so it was my joy to just hang out with her and drink coffee at Caribou and catch up with her.

On Monday night, I spent the evening listening to & sharing with other women who are seeking, like me, to intentionally walk with God and do so authentically. We shared a meal together and encouraged one another.

Today, I met the same young woman from last Thursday for an early lunch to share more time together. God seems to be unfolding a new opportunity for us to spend regular time together. She thinks it's me investing in her, and I am doing that, but she's giving me far more than she realizes! (see previous 3 blogs to understand!) It was such an encouraging time to hear her heart as she shared about what's going on...in her relationships, in her church life, in her work life....nothing is out of bounds. I so love spending time with people who don't have it altogether spiritually-speaking, BUT they have a true desire to want to have God in the CENTER of it all.

So, what's different? People, not things, People, not stuff. People, not tasks. People, not me, me, me. I've never really thought of myself as a "people person" because deep down, I have a very quiet and shy side and have had to really work at being something other than that. I love having "me" time, being alone reading, just puttering around my house, shopping by myself, gardening by myself,.....it does not bother me in the least to be by myself.

However, although being alone is my natural preference, I'm realizing it doesn't completely satisfy the inner woman in me because God has made me to invest in others. Like the apostle Paul, I want to be "poured out" into others. So....it's not so much what I've DONE that's made the difference; it's WHO I've been with....

As I write, I'm reminded to glance over at a quote that I keep at my desk here in front of me. It seems to really fit with these thoughts. My youngest daughter, Haley, spent a summer in Bolivia doing mission work several years ago. The president of S.A.M., the ministry that sent her, made a statement to her and the others who had spent their summer doing the same thing all over the world upon their return as they were "de-briefed". It impacted me then when she shared it with me, and it continues to penetrate as I try to figure out how God would have me NOT waste my life in this last phase without children to raise.

Here's the quote:
"REAL ministry is getting close enough to people to show them how Christ can impact every area of their lives." Bill Ogden, S.A.M. president

Oh, did I mention that Haley lived in a Bolivian home with a single Mom and her daughter? She ate with them, she slept in their house, she helped them with their business.....all because she wanted to get close enough to show them how Jesus can impact EVERY area of their life.

No comments: