Sunday, October 19, 2008

Acting as if "then" is "now"...changing sheets for nobody

I finally got around to getting the sheets washed & dried for all the upstairs bedrooms...which we have 3 of.....rooms that used to be full of activity, messiness and all the things that come with having kids in your house! The sheets for Trent's room had been washed & dried for weeks and laying on a chair waiting to be put back on his twin beds. Both girls' rooms have had people sleeping in them in the not-so-distant past; thus, the sheets needed to be laundered. However, I wasn't in any real rush to get it done nor to put them back on.....why? because as far as I know, none of the children will be coming home any time soon and no guests are coming any time soon either.

As I walked upstairs today, I figured I'd just throw the girls sheets on their beds, but make them up another day. Suddenly, I found myself laying across Blair's bed and once again reminiscing about days gone by that just seem to have disappeared like a vapor. Wow, the tidal wave was about to hit again, but this time, I didn't have the meltdown....although a melancholy spirit was lurking very nearby. Instead, I hoisted myself up quickly to make Blair's bed, walked to Haley's room to do the same and then finally to Trent's room.

I realized that much of my lack of motivation to get those sheets on the bed is simply because I'm not expecting anyone.......the operative word is "expecting"! Why am I not expecting anyone? Because no one has informed me that they are coming.

Hmmm.....there I go again trying to act as if I'm the one in control of my life when I know better! How do I know that the Lord won't send someone soon, maybe tomorrow, maybe next week to my doorstep in need of a place to sleep or stay? How do I know that He won't open a door for ministry that would require those rooms to be READY? That's just it; I don't.

Making those beds today was my small step of obedient faith, and I've realized in essence that I am saying in my spirit that I will "act as if then is now"! Providentially, I heard that phrase (boy does He have me hearing stuff lately right when I need it!) last Sunday at a new church that Neal & I were visiting. I pondered it at the time, wrote it down and even said to myself, " I think that's significant." I'm so glad that the Spirit is the One who brings to our remembrance truths that we need at just the right time in order to be strengthened & walk in obedience. I will intentionally act as if my "then" (which is me imagining having a full house of.....whatever or whoever God provides in His time in His way for His purposes) is my "now" and keep my eyes & ears open for new opportunities to use those ready rooms!

Thanks Lord for turning today's tidal wave into something worth remembering.

No comments: